2.1.06

Disappointment vs. Excitement


Christmas time 140
Originally uploaded by The Enforcer.
I think this is the only appropriate way to describe my New Year’s, or perhaps more accurately put: Excitement despite the disappointments. Excitement is because of the people I spent it with: Ms. Jana Otte came from Seattle and Ms. Amy Nielsen from Calgary, Alberta (or is it Alberta, Calgary Jana?) to have a night on the town in Portland, Oregon. Well Amy and I experienced the frustrations of trying to find a place that allowed minors in (poor Jana and I are only 20), not that we wanted to drink, but there were a lot of good jazz clubs and lounges we wanted to explore, but we were rejected (usually they allow minors, but not on New Year’s Eve). So in the end, we went to McMenaman’s at Kennedy School. Kennedy school is an old elementary school from the 20’s that has been turned into well, I don’t know if there is a name for it, perhaps a dinner theatre. It consists of 3 different rooms were small little bars/lounges, there was an auditorium with live music (which of course, we were not allowed into, but listened to intently from the hallway), a gymnasium with more live shows, and McMenaman’s, the restaurant. Overall, it is quite the place.

We left there around 10ish to head downtown to Pioneer Square—they always drop a mini-ball like in NYC….apparently NOT this year though. We waited along with over 300 people for this ball (which was present!) to drop and nothing. No countdown, no fireworks like 2 years ago when I was there. Nothing. The one cool thing was that there was a 3-mile midnight run, that started right on the New Year. Too bad Amy and I didn’t know about it before, we surely would have joined in…what a cool idea though eh? Ring in the New Year with a fun-run!

All in all, we had a great time…but it certainly was not what we had thought it was going to be…I am glad that soon I will be 21. Not because I feel the need to drink alcohol, but simply so that I can explore interesting jazz clubs and other funky restaurants. It is like a whole new world will be opened to me. And in this new world, I do hope that Aladdin greets me, in full suit, with his flying carpet, to show me this “dazzling new place I never knew!” March is not so far away!!

3 notes:

Pamela Joy said...

Hey Jenno, so glad you got to have fun and I'm so sad I didn't get to see you before you left but such is life. I can totally concure about the trials of being underage in portland though. Whenver I say I live there people always gush about what a great city it is and I just kind of half heartedly concur out of obligation. The truth is it's not all that special for minors - there are only very limited things you can do and hardly ANYTHING you can do after 9:00 pm. I think I shall have to go back and stay there for a while after my next birthday so I can really experience what everyone is talking about... in the mean time I'll just keep on smiling and nodding as everyone gushes about the wonderment of downtown Portland - which as of now only holds coffee shops and movie theaters that I'm allowed into... which is not a whole lot better than corvallis - excepting the art museum which is in actuality to expensive for my meagre means -when it comes down to it and a whole lot more difficult to find parking!

yeahboone said...

Sounds like a goodtime! Jacqi and I were down there for a while that night. We went to Papa H's for dessert around 9. Some friends we ran into there were heading down to pioneer sq also.

I've always wanted to check out Kennedy School but never got around to it while I was down there.

Jennifer Bulthuis said...

Boone you should definitely check out Kennedy School. It's a fun set up, having a lot of entertainment all in the same place. I had fun and i couldn't even go in most of it, so i can't EVEN imagine what it would be like actually being able to go in! haha ;)